She Was Vomiting Dead Bees
A SWARM of bees, suspected to be juju sent by Sanyati villagers, stung a sixty-five-year-old gogo to death about half a kilometre from her village while coming from the fields in the company of her husband and grandson.
Memory Chigogo of Machokoto Village, Ward 11 under Chief Neuso was ambushed by the deadly bees together with her husband Saini Chigogo, 67, neighbour Tafadzwa Maisva, 28, and her six-year-old grandson when she met her fate.
Narrating the incident that led to the death of his wife, Chigogo said a swarm of bees emerged from the bush and attacked them when they were on their way home from the fields.
“I was leading the ox-drawn cart with my six-year-old grandson on our way to the village after harvesting maize; my wife was in the cart and as we passed a thick bush there was a buzzing sound and suddenly a swarm of bees just emerged from nowhere and attacked the four of us, including the cattle.
“I shouted to my wife to jump out of the cart while running away from the bees. I was shielding my young grandson from further attack, but my wife reacted slowly and the whole swarm of bees descended on her and attacked her.
“I could hear her crying; shouting for help, but there was nothing I could have done because more bees were coming and some were still hovering above us; the cows were also attacked by the bees,” said Chigogo.
Maisva, a neighbour to the Chigogos, said they were still trying to come to terms with the bees’ attack.
“The bees did not give her any chance; we ran in different directions with the bees in pursuit and help only came when the bees few away; that’s when we took her to Sanyati Baptist Mission Hospital for observations, no one ever thought we would lose her,” narrated Maisva.
A Senior Nurse at Sanyati Baptist Mission Hospital who attended Gogo Chigogo told H Metro that the patient had a swollen face and was vomiting bees.
“Yes, we admitted one woman from the village who had been attacked by bees, she had a swollen face and was vomiting dead bees.
“She might have swallowed them while she was crying for help. She spent the night at the hospital and was discharged the following morning,” said the senior nurse.
However, Gogo Chigogo succumbed to the bees’ attack at home and was laid to rest last week. Machokoto Village Head, Collen Machokoto confirmed Gogo Chigogo’s death after she was attacked by bees.
“ the village has been shaken by the untimely death of Gogo Chigogo after she was attacked by bees in the village while coming from the fields.
Read Also: Two Killed Trying To Move Dead Cow From Road
“We are appealing to National Parks and Wildlife Authorities to come to our help before another life is lost in Sanyati due to human-wild animals conflicts,” said Machokoto.
He added: “Nine people have lost lives along the road and the place has become a ‘black spot’ and we’re appealing to the villagers not to use animals to settle scores.
“I know it’s hard to believe that bees can send someone to the graves; in our culture, it’s unheard of.
“If there is someone with his or her ‘bees’ he or she must stop these acts forthwith,” said Machokoto.
Tips On What To Do When You Encounter Bees
- If you accidentally encounter bees, do not disturb them. Remain calm and quietly move away until bees are out of sight.
- If bees attack, run away in a straight line and take shelter inside a car or building as soon as possible.
- If under attack, use your arms and hands or shirt to shield your face and eyes from stings. Do not try to fight the bees. Do not scream. Do not swat at bees or wave your arms.
- Do not jump into water or thick brush. If you jump into water, bees will attack you when you come up for air.
- After an attack, bees will continue to be agitated by loud or humming noises such as barking dogs, lawnmowers, weed eaters and flashing lights.
- If you are stung, remove the stinger by scraping it out and washing the area with soap and water and applying a cold pack to the sting site. When a bee stings, it leaves a stinger in the skin. This kills the bee so it can’t sting again but the venom remains.
- If someone is stung by a bee and becomes dizzy, nauseated or has difficulty breathing, an allergic reaction to the sting may be occurring. This is a serious medical emergency and 911 should be called for immediate medical treatment.
- If you are stung more than 10 times, you should seek medical attention as a precaution. Reaction to bee venom takes several hours, which may cause you to feel sick later.