Prince Dubeko Sibanda, MP for Binga North, has stated on Twitter that Zimbabwe may not have elections if Justice Nokuthula Moyo’s ruling, which bars 12 Bulawayo CCC MPs, is upheld.
This comes after the cancellation of the Bulawayo MPs’ nomination for the 2023 House of Assembly elections.
Our 12 MPs in Byo will be on the ballot paper on 23 August. If not, then there won’t be elections in Zimbabwe. Prince Dubeko Sibanda; Twitter
The judgement, which has cast a shadow on the elections to be held on 23 August this year, means that ZANU PF has won some of the seats uncontested.
ZANU PF activists filed 12 urgent chamber applications at the Bulawayo High Court on July 2, 2023, seeking nullification of CCC candidate’s nomination.
The applicants, who only describe themselves as “registered voters”, sought to have the CCC candidates barred from contesting for submitting their nomination papers late.
They argued that the defendants filed their nomination papers after the regulated time of 4 pm on June 21, 2023, and should not be allowed to contest.
CCC President Nelson Chamisa says that President Emmerson Mnangagwa has plunged the country in a crisis and that he has targeted the region based on tribalism.
ED is just about to plunge Zimbabwe into an unprecedented electoral and national crisis. Never target a tribe or victimize a region twice! Nelson Chamisa
ED is just about to plunge Zimbabwe into an unprecedented electoral and national crisis. Never target a tribe or victimize a region twice!
— nelson chamisa (@nelsonchamisa) July 28, 2023
Here is the list of barred CCC candidates
The 12 barred aspiring members of parliament are:
- Surrender Kapoikulu of Bulawayo Central constituency
- Minenhle Ntandoyenkosi Gumede of Bulawayo North constituency
- Nicola Jane Watson of Bulawayo South constituency
- Pashor Raphel Sibanda of Cowdray Park constituency
- Collins Descent Bajila of Emakhandeni-Luveve constituency
- Dingilizwe Tshuma of Entumbane-Njube constituency
- Prince Dube of Entumbane Njube constituency
- Dereck Gono of Lobengula-Magwegwe constituency
- Desmond Makaza of Mpopoma-Mzilikazi constituency
- Obert Manduna of Nketa constituency
- Desire Moyo of Nkulumane constituency
- Soneni Moyo of Pelandaba-Tshabalala constituency