South African News

Gory details about South African man who killed Zimbabwean sεx workers emerge

THE South African man, Sifiso Mkhwanazi, who targeted Zimbabwean sεx workers before killing them used an empty room as a slaughter room.

This was revealed by Detective Sergeant Bongani Mbonambi when he testified in the trial at the Joburg High Court sitting in Palm Ridge, Ekurhuleni, on Wednesday, 14 February.

Mbonambi said they found used condoms, underwear, garden spades, blood stains, and human fluids. These form part of the evidence found in the room.

“DNA samples obtained from the ‘slaughter room’ were positively linked to the three sεx workers who were allegedly killed by Sifiso.

“There was blood showing that the bodies were dragged from the room downstairs, and one could see that someone tried cleaning the blood from the stairs. Police experts managed to retrieve the blood,” said Mbonambi.

He said the caretaker, Michael Damian, who was among the witnesses, testified last week that a cleaner used to clean the room but stopped when she realized that the room was not used.

“The cleaner told me she saw Sifiso cleaning the room,” said Mbonambi.

Mbonambi said three or four victims might have been killed in the slaughter room and dragged through the stairs.

ALSO READ – South African man kills six Zimbabwean women

“The accused might have used the three dustbins that went missing from Sifiso’s dad Mark Khumalo’s workshop.

“Some of the bodies were found in the dustbins on 9 October 2022 after the first body of Joyce Moyo was found in the slaughter room,” he said.

Mbonambi said if this was one murder, he would have given him the benefit of the doubt, but looking at the photos taken by forensic officers showed that the deceased was killed in the workshop.

“The bodies were tied on their hands from the front and the back.

“The bodies were strangled, and no money was found in the bags of the deceased,” said Mbonambi.

He accused Sifiso of killing the sεx workers and wanting to hide the bodies.

“Sifiso spent nine to 10 months in prison after a case of rape against him was opened.

“He should have stayed away from the sex workers, but his actions were like going to the fish pond and picking the sex worker he wanted,” said Mbonambi.

He disputed Sifiso’s version that the murders were not premeditated.

Mbonambi said all bodies had commonalities when they were discovered.

The 21-year-old is facing charges of six counts of murder, seven counts of rape, six counts of obstructing the administration of justice, robbery with aggravating circumstances, and unauthorised possession of firearms and ammunition.

The charges stem from the discovery of six female bodies at the site of a panel beating workshop in Rosettenville, south of Joburg, in October 2022.

Mkhwanazi allegedly confessed to the murders during a conversation with his father, Mark, who is the second key witness.

Judge Cassim Moosa postponed the trial to Monday, 19 February, as Sifiso’s lawyer, Vuyo Maqetuka, cited ill health.

Back to top button