HARARE – Marry Mubaiwa Tuesday asked court to remove her from remand claiming that prosecutors have continued to delay trial into her attempted murder charges against her former husband and state Vice President Constantino Chiwenga when he was battling for life in a South African hospital in 2020.
Through her lawyer Beatrice Mtetwa, Mubaiwa said there was no reason to keep her on remand when the state was not ready for trial.
Mtetwa said the continued postponement of the matter was a delaying tactic by the state.
“This postponement is deliberately designed to prolong her coming to court.
“Your worship, there is no good reason as is required by the law before you justifying postponement of the matter,” she said, adding that prosecutors were insensitive to her client’s plight.
However, Harare magistrate Feresi Chakanyuka dismissed the application.
She ruled that failure of the witness to come to court should not guarantee Mubaiwa’s removal from remand.
The former model has been in and out of the courts since 2019 following her fallout with the former Zimbabwe military commander who claims her one-time sweetheart visited him in hospital and attempted to finish him off.
Last year, Marry Mubaiwa was found guilty of forging certificates in order to upgrade the couple’s customary marriage.
The amputee is also accused of assaulting her former house helper Delight Munyoro.
Mubaiwa is also accused of Money laundering which has seen her losing her upmarket house in Pretoria, South Africa following a successful request for forfeiture by the Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission (ZACC) and South African prosecution.
Mubaiwa is expected back in court on January 20.-ZimLive