Local News

Kuwadzana nightmare: Two juveniles electrocuted in their sleep

The Zimbabwe Republic Police has officially confirmed a heartbreaking incident where two juveniles, Junior Makwindi (4) and Tinotenda Tineyi Maketo (6), were electrocuted by a faulty fridge. The tragic event occurred while they were asleep in a room at a residence in Kuwadzana 5, Harare.

Preliminary investigations conducted by the police indicate that the children were electrocuted after coming into contact with an upright refrigerator that had a significant electrical fault.

The unfortunate incident took place on February 19, 2024, sending shockwaves through the community. As the investigation unfolds, more details are expected to be revealed in due course.

Read: ZESA Pays US$15k Compensation To Electrocution Victim

The primary cause of the electrocution appears to be a malfunction in the electrical system of an upright refrigerator located in the room where the children were sleeping. This electrical fault resulted in the tragic loss of Junior Makwindi and Tinotenda Tineyi Maketo.

The Zimbabwe Republic Police urges the public to exercise caution and ensure the regular inspection of household appliances to prevent similar incidents. Electrical faults can pose serious risks, especially in environments where children are present.

The entire community of Kuwadzana 5 and Zimbabweans are mourning the devastating loss of two young lives.  Their untimely demise has left a profound impact on friends, family, and neighbours.

Local authorities and support organizations are providing counselling and assistance to the affected families during this challenging time. The community is coming together to support one another and raise awareness about the importance of electrical safety in households.

The Zimbabwe Republic Police assures the public that a thorough investigation is underway to understand the circumstances surrounding the electrocution incident. Updates on the investigation will be communicated as they become available.

Back to top button